Effect of supplementation of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) root powder as feed additive on performance and blood biochemicals of broilers
Citation :- Effect of supplementation of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) root powder as feed additive on performance and blood biochemicals of broilers .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2016.(50):53-56
An experiment was conducted on one hundred eighty day old commercial broiler chicks (Ven Cob Strain) to study the effect of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) root powder as feed additive on the performance and blood biochemical profile in broilers during 0-6 weeks of age. The chicks were randomly divided into three groups 60 each. All the chicks were housed in deep litter system. The experimental diets were: no feed additive (T0), 0.25 per cent Ashwagandha root powder (T1) and 0.5 per cent Ashwagandha root powder (T2). Body weight gain of T1 (567.00 g) and T2 (581.67 g) was significantly (Ps a herbal feed additive was beneficial in improving average weekly body weight gain, feed conversion ratio and blood biochemical profile.
Blood biochemical profile
- Akotkar, N.S., A.N. Sarg, D.H. Rekhate and Dhok. A.P. (2007). Effect of supplementation of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) on performance of broiler. Indian J.Poul. Sci. 42:1. Ali, A. (2011). Effect of different levels of chicory (Cichorium intybus L.), zizaphora (Zizaphora tenuior L.), nettle (Urtica dioica L.) and savoury (Satureja hortensis L.) medicinal plants on carcass characteristics of male broilers. J. Med. Plants Res.5(17): 4354–4359.
- Andallu B. and Radhika B. (2000). Hypoglycemic, diuretic and hypocholesterolemic effect of winter cherry (Withania somnifera, Dunal) root. Indian J. Exp. Bio. 38(6):607-609.
- Ansari J., Khan S.H., Haq A.U., Ahmad T. and Abbass M.I. (2013). Effect of supplementation of Withania somnifera (Linn.) Dunal roots on growth performance, serum biochemistry, blood hematology and immunity of broiler chicks. J. of Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants. 19:144–158.
- Bhardwaj, R.K., S.K. Singh, Ashok Kumar, Brijesh Kumar, R.K. Sharma, Shive Kumar and Jaiswal R.S. (2008). Efficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) root extract as feed additive in Japanese quails. Indian Poult. Sci. Asso., Silver Jubilee Annual Conf. and National Symposium held at Anand. 10-12 Dec., 2008, pp.536.
- BIS. (1992). Indian Standard Poultry Feed Specification. IV Revision, Manak Bhawan, 9, Bahadurshah Zafar Marg, New Delhi.
- Dhenge S. A., R. N. Shirbhate, K. B. Bahiram, A. K. Wankar, V. N. Khandait and Patankar R.B. (2009). Haematobiochemical profile of broilers supplemented with Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) and Androghraphis paniculata (Bhuineem). The Ind. J. of Field Vet. 5:1.
- Duncan D.B. (1995) Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 11:1-42.
- Dwivedi, S., G. Deepti and Sharma K.K. (2000). Modification of coronary risk factors by medicinal plants. J.Med.Aroma.Plant Sci. 22:616-620.
- Hemalatha, S., A.K. Wahi, P.N. Singh and Chansouria J.P. (2006). Hypolipidemic activity of aqueous extract of Withania coagulans Dunal in albino rats. Phytother. Res.20 (7):614-617.
- Muhammad J., F. Durrani, A. Hafeez, R. U. Khan and Ahmad I. (2009). Effect of aquous extract of plant mixture on carcass quality of broiler chicks. ARPN J. of Agri. and Bio. Science. 4(1): 37-39.
- Narayanswamy, H.D., B. Santosh Kumar, V.G. Bhagwat, M.N. Dixit and Nagaraja M.R. (2004). Poultry Line. April 27-30.
- Rajangam U., S. Kasthurirengan, T. S. Mariashibu, R. Manoharan, R. A. Vasudevan, S. A. Kim, A. Ganpathi and C. W. Choi. (2009). Hypoglycaemic and hypolipidaemic effects of Withania somnifera root and leaf extracts on Alloxan-Induced diabetic rats. Int.J. Mol.Sci.10: 2367-2382.
- Samarth, V.R., D.G. Jagtap, N.P Dakshinkar, M.V. Nimbalkar and Kothekar M.D. (2002). Effect of Ashwaghanda root powder (Withania somnifera) on performance of broiler. Indian Vet. J. 79:733-734.
- Shisodiya, J.M., S.S. Chopde, J.M. Chandankhede, A.B. Rajput and Kolte B.R. (2008). Silver Jubilee Annual Conf. and National Symposium Indian Poult. Sci. Asso., held at Anand. 10-12 Dec. 2008, pp: 404.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran W.S. (1994). Statistical methods. 8th Edition. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., Calcutta.
- Tanweer, A. J., N. Chand, S. Khan, M. S. Qureshi, A. Akhtar and Niamatullah M. (2012). Impact of methanolic extract of Peganum harmala on the weight gain, feed conversion ratio, feed cost and gross return of broiler chicks. The J. Anim. Plant Sci. 22 (2): 264-267.
- Visavadiya, N.P and Narasimhacharya A.V. (2006). Hypocholesteremic and antioxidant effects of Withania somnifera (Dunal) in hypocolesteremic rats. Phytomedicine. 34 (2) 32-38.