EFFECT OF WEANING ON THE POSTPARTUM REPRODUCTIVE PERFORMANCE OF MURRAH BUFFALOES
Citation :- EFFECT OF WEANING ON THE POSTPARTUM REPRODUCTIVE PERFORMANCE OF MURRAH BUFFALOES.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2014.(48):501-503
The present experiment was designed to study the effect of weaning on resumption of ovarian cyclicity in postpartum Murrah buffaloes. A total of sixteen postpartum Murrah buffaloes in their second to sixth lactation were divided into two equal groups as: (1) Group 1 (Weaning) and (2) Group 2 (Suckling) keeping body weight, age, parity and birth weight of calf into consideration. The animals in the weaning group (n=8) were isolated from calf by day 3 and animals of the suckling group (n=8) were allowed to suckle twice daily until the end of experiment. Behavioural estrus (53.29±7.52 vs. 128.00±9.94 days, P
- Abeygunawardena, H., Kuruwita, V.Y. and Perera, B.M.A.O. (1995). SAREC/NARESA Regional Symposium on the Role of the Buffalo in Rural Development in Asia, Plant Genetic Resource Center, Sri Lanka.
- Bell, D.J., Spitzer, J.C. and Bums, G.L. (1998). Comparative effects of early weaning or once-daily suckling on occurrence of postpartum estrus in primiparous beef cows. Theriogenology, 50: 707-715.
- Bellows, R.A., Short, R.E., Urick, J.J. and Pahnish, O.F. (1974). Effects of early weaning on postpartum reproduction of the dam and growth of calves born as multiples or singles. J. Anim. Sci., 39: 589–600.
- FAO (2009). Food outlook : Global Market Analysis. December 2009, pp. 42-51.
- Madan, M.L. (1988). Status of reproduction in fermale buffalo. In: Buffalo Production and Health : compendium of latest research information based on Indian studies. ICAR New Delhi, pp. 89-100.
- Montiel, F. and Ahuja, C. (2005). Body condition and suckling as factors influencing the duration of postpartum anestrus in cattle: a review. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 85: 1-26.
- Perera, B.M.A.O. (2011). Reproductive cycles of buffalo. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 124: 194-199.
- Quintans, G., Vázquez, A.I. and Weigel, K.A. (2009). Effect of suckling restriction with nose plates and premature weaning on postpartum anestrous interval in primiparous cows under range conditions. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 116: 10-18.
- Qureshi, M.S. and Ahmad, N. (2008). Interaction of calf suckling, use of oxytocin and milk yield with reproductive performance of dairy buffaloes. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 106: 380-392.
- Sadana, D.K. and Jain, A. (2002). Conservation and improvement of animal genetic resources - A network Approach, proceeding of the National Training Programme on Animal Breeding Technologies for Genetic Improvement of Livestock, held at Centre for Advanced Studies in Animal Genetic and Breeding. Dairy Cow breeding Division National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal w.e.f. 26.12.2001 to 15.1.2002 (pp. 28-41).
- Yavas, Y. and Walton, J.S. (2000). Postpartum acyclicity in suckled beef cows: a review. Theriogenology, 54: 25–55.