EFFECT OF SELENIUM SUPPLEMENTATION ON REPRODUCTIVE PERFORMANCE AND HORMONAL PROFILE IN BUFFALO HEIFERS
Citation :- EFFECT OF SELENIUM SUPPLEMENTATION ON REPRODUCTIVE PERFORMANCE AND HORMONAL PROFILE IN BUFFALO HEIFERS.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2014.(48):27-30
Twenty Murrah buffalo heifers (18–36 months, 239.1±16.5 kg) were divided into two groups (T1 and T2) and fed same concentrate mixture except that animals in T2 were supplemented with 0.2 ppm of selenium through sodium selenite for a period of 120 days. Wheat straw was offered ad libitum to both groups. Blood samples were collected on day 0, 120 as well as whenever the heifers came into heat. It was found that the percentage of estrus (60 vs. 50) and conception rate (66.66 vs. 60) were higher in T2 as compared to T1. Selenium supplementation did not affect the age at first estrus and first service. However, the age at first conception (32.5 vs. 34 months) was reduced in Se supplemented group as compared to control group. Concentrations of estradiol-17b and progesterone were similar (P>0.05) in both the groups. It was deduced that supplementation of 0.2 ppm Se had no effect on serum hormonal profile in buffalo heifers but had some improved reproductive functions.
- Ahmed, W.M., Sabra, H.A. and Hamam, A.M. (2001). Effect of administration of vitamins AD3E and selenium during prepartum period on the reproductive performance of native cows in Egypt. Beni- Suef Vet. Med. J., 11: 81 –91.
- Anita, P., Shashi, N., Singha, S., Narinder, S,. Nayyar, S. and Singh., N. (2003). Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant vitamins in postpartum anestrous buffaloes supplemented with Vitamin E and selenium. Indian J. Dairy Sci,. 56: 33-37.
- Aveneil, J. A., Saepudin, Y. and Fletcher, I.C. (1985). Concentrations of LH, estradiol-17 b and progesterone in the peripheral plasma of swamp buffalo cows around the time of estrous. J. Reprodn. Fertility, 74: 419-424.
- Batra, S.K. and Pandey, R.S.( 1982). Luteinizing hormone and oestradiol-17b in blood plasma and milk during the estrus cycle and early pregnancy in Murrah buffaloes. Anim. Reproductive Sci., 5: 147-157.
- Gabryszuk, M and Klewiec, J. (2002). Effect of injecting 2 and 3 year old ewes with selenium and selenium-vitamin E on reproduction and rearing of lambs. Small Ruminant Res., 43: 127-132.
- Hemingway, R.G. (2003). The influences of dietary intakes and supplementation with selenium and vitamin E on reproduction diseases and reproductive efficiency in cattle and sheep. Vet. Res. Communi., 27: 159-174.
- Kumud, N. (1999). Determination of plasma oxytocin profile in crossbred cows and Murrah buffaloes using sensitive enzyme immunoassay procedure. Ph.D. Thesis, National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal.
- MacPherson, A., Kelly, E.F., Chalmers, J.S. and Roberts, D.J. (1987). The effect of selenium deficiency on fertility in heifers. In: Proceedings of the University of Missouri’s 21st Annual Conference on Trace Substances in Environmental Health, St-Louis, USA-25-28 May 1987, pp 551-555.
- Mahima. (2006). Effect of Supplementation of Different levels and sources of selenium on the performance of guinea Pigs. M.V.Sc. Thesis. Uttar Pradesh Pandit Deen Dayal Pashu Chikitsa Vigyan Vishwa Vidhayalaya avam Go Anusandhan Kendra, Mathura, India.
- McClure, T.J., Eamens, G.J. and Healy, P.J. (1986). Improved fertility in dairy cows after treatment with selenium pellets. Aust. Vet. J., 63: 144-146.
- Mudgal, V., Garg, A.K. and Dass, R.S. (2007). Effect of dietary selenium and copper supplementation on growth and nutrient utilization in buffalo calves. Anim. Nutrition and Feed Technology, 7: 79-88.
- Mudgal, V., Garg, A.K., Dass, R.S. and Varshney, V.P. (2008). Effect of selenium and copper supplementation on blood metabolic profile in male buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) calves. Biol. Traceelement Res., 121: 31-38.
- Nayyar, S., Sharma, P., Singh, N. and Singh, R. (2002). Effect of vitamin E and selenium supplementation on antioxidant vitamins in repeat breeder buffalo heifers. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 55: 207-210.
- NRC. (2001). Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle, 7th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Pathak, N.N. and Verma, D.N. (1993). Nutrient Requirement of Buffalo. International Book Distributing Co., Lucknow, India.
- Pehrson, B. (1993). Diseases and diffuse disorders related to selenium deficiencies in ruminants. Norwegian J. Agric. Sci., 79–93.
- Ricoy, E.F., Aeua, C., Rincon, R.M., Cortes, D.F., Bauelos-Valenzuela, R. and Arechiga, C.F. (2000). True estrous determination through evaluation of serum progesterone levels at the time of insemination of dairy cows from semi intensive dairies in north-central Mexico. Zacatecas, Mexico.
- Shukla, S.N. (2003). Studies on ovarian function using insulin in anestrous cattle, M. V. Sc Thesis, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, India.
- Singh, B., Dixit, V.D., Singh, P., Georgia, G.C. and Dixit, V.P.( 2001). Plasma inhibin levels in relation to steroids and gonadotrophins during estrous cycle in buffaloes. Reprod. Domestic Anim., 36: 163-167.
- Singh, N. and Chaudhary, K.C. (1992). Evaluation of plasma levels of progesterone. J. Res., Punjab Agric. Univ., 21: 136-138.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods. 8th edn. Oxford and IBH. New Delhi, pp 312-317.