Cleft lip and palate in a kid-a case report
Citation :- Cleft lip and palate in a kid-a case report.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2015.(49):148-149
The occurrence of cleft lip and palate in a Malabari kid is reported and discussed the possible reasons. The kid showed brachygnathism, cleft lip and cleft palate. The doe had a history of abnormal kids in her first kidding, which indicated the possibility of genetic cause. Because of the presence of brachygnathism, the kid could not apply negative pressure to suckle the milk. As the kid might have already swallowed the fluid within the womb, this might have led to respiratory disturbances and death. It was suggested that the doe should not be bred due to the hereditary nature of this condition.
- Beaty, T.H., Ruczinski, I. and Murray, J.C. (2011).New findings from Johns Hopkins University in the area of Cleft palate described, Genet Epidemiol. 35: 469–478.
- Cox, T.C. (2004). The genetic and developmental mechanisms co-ordinating midfacial morphogenesis and dysmorphology, Clin. Genet. 65: 163-176.
- Dudas, M., Li, W.Y., Kim, J., Yang, A. and Kaartinen, V. (2007) Palatal fusion- where do the midline cells go? A review as cleft palate a major human birth defect, Acta Histochem. 109: 1–14.
- Ettinger, S.J. and Feldman, E.C.. (1995). Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 4th Ed. W.B. Saunders Company.
- Fraser, C.M., Bergeron, J.A., Asa, M. and Susan, E.A. (1991). The Merck Veterinary Manual. 7th Ed. Merck & Co., Inc. USA.
- Loenarz, C., Ge, W., Coleman, M.L., Rose, N.R., Cooper, C.D.O., Klose, R. J., Ratclliffe, P.J. and Schofield, C.J. (2010), PHF8, a gene associated with cleft lip / palate and mental retardation, encodes for an N-epsilon-dimethyl lysiene demethylase, Hum. Mol.Genet. 19: 217-222.
- Millicovsky, G. and Johnston, M.C. (1981), Hyperoxia and hypoxia in pregnancy: Simple experimental manipulation alters the incidence of cleft lip and palate in CL/Fr mice, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 78: 5722-5723.
- Moritomo, Y., Tsudha,T. and Miyamoto, H. (1999), Craniofacial skeletal abnormalities in anomalous calves with clefts of the face, J. Vet. Med. Sci. 61: 1147-1152.
- Panter, K. E. (2009). Animal scientist finds new vistas in cleft palate research, Agri. Res. Magz.57:4-6.