GENETIC AND NON-GENETIC FACTORS AFFECTING ABNORMAL BIRTHS IN KARAN SWISS CATTLE
Citation :- GENETIC AND NON-GENETIC FACTORS AFFECTING ABNORMAL BIRTHS IN KARAN SWISS CATTLE.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2000.(34):29-32
Based on 4696 calving records of 1399 Karan Swiss cows, the incidence of abnormal birth was found to be 5.4%. The genetic group of cows, period, season and parity of calving had highly significant effect on the rate of abnormal births. The effect of sire was also significant. About 15% of the total cows had abnormal births during their stay in the herd and most of them (14%) aborted only once. The estimate of heritability and repeatability of the trait were found to be very low.
- Arun, K., et a/., (1991). SARAS J. Livestock and Poult. Prod., 7:24-39.
- Arun, K., et a/., (1995). Indian J. Dairy Sci. 48:408.
- Chatterjee, A. et a/., (1985). Indian Vet. J., 62:568-90.
- Lathwal, 5.5. et a/., (1993). Indian J. Dairy Sci., 46:349-52.
- Lathwal,·S.S. and Arun, K. (1994). Indian Vet. J., °71 :892 .
- Mukherjee, K., etal., (1993). Indian J. Dairy Sci. ,46: 110-113.
- Negi, ·A.B. and Luktuke, S.N. (1982). Indian Vet. J., 59:29-34.
- Rawal, S.C.' and Tomer (1996). Indian Vet. J. 73:649-653.
- Reddy, a.A. and Sampath, S.R. (1981). Indian J. Anim. Sci. 51:973-974.
- Sharma, K.N.S. and Jain, n.K; (1983). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 53:799-802.
- Tomar, 5.5., et aI., (1975). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 45:533-36.
- Tomar, 5.5. and Verma, G.S. (1988a). Indian J. Dairy Sci., 41:94-100.
- Tomar, 5.5. and Verma. G.S. (1988b). Indian J. Anim. Sci .. 58:1204-1208