ASSESSMENT OF CNS ACTIVITY OF NELUMBO NUCIFERA (RED AND WHITE TYPE) USING ROTAROD
Citation :- ASSESSMENT OF CNS ACTIVITY OF NELUMBO NUCIFERA (RED AND WHITE TYPE) USING ROTAROD.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2008.(42):273-275
The CNS activity of Nelumbo nucifera was assessed in rats using rotarod in which forced motor
activity was studied. Forty eight animals were divided into 6 groups (I-VI) of 8 animals each. These
groups were administered with gum acacia alone (Group I), standard drug chlorpromazine 7 mg/kg
(Group II), alcoholic extract of N. nucifera seed (red type) @ 400 mg/kg (Group III) or 600 mg/kg
(Group IV), alcoholic extract of N. nucifera (white type) @ 400 mg/kg (Group V) or 600 mg/kg
(Group VI). The forced motor activity was assessed by noticing the time of stay on rotarod in
seconds. The decrease in time of stay revealed the CNS depressant activity. All the groups showed
significant (P0.001) reducton in forced motor activity when compared to control. The group IV
(alcoholic extract of red lotus seed extract @ 600 mg/kg) showed maximum reduction in forced
motor activity among the extract treated group. The standard drug chlorpromazine showed the most
potent activity throughout the experiment. Thus it is inferred that alcoholic extract of red lotus
(@ 600 mg/kg) showed maximum CNS depressant activity when compared to other extract
- Furiuele, A.R. et al. (1961). J. Pharmacol. Sci. 50:252-252.
- Hogalin, D.C. et al. (1991). Fundamentals of Exploratory Analysis of Variance. M.A. Addisson, Wesley, p. 448.
- Kulkarni, C. et al. (1988). Indian J. Exp. Biol. 26:957-960.
- Mukherjee, P.K. (1996). J. Ethnopharmacol. 54:63-67.
- Rai et al. (2006). J. Ethnopharmacol. 104:322-327.
- Turner, R.A. (1965). Screening Methods in Pharmacology. Academic Press, New York and London, p.332.