EFFICACY OF MACROGARD (AN IMMUNOSTIMULANT) ON GROWTH AND SURVIVAL IN SHRIMPS AND CARPS
Citation :- EFFICACY OF MACROGARD (AN IMMUNOSTIMULANT) ON GROWTH AND SURVIVAL IN SHRIMPS AND CARPS.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2013.(47):443-448
In the present study, macrogard (an immunostimulant) was orally administered to a shrimp (Penaeus monodon) and major carps so as to evaluate its efficacy in commercial aquaculture practice. Four different farmer shrimp ponds were selected at four different locations along the Karnataka Coast and a concrete pond with a soil base containing fish wase selected at the College of Fisheries, Mangalore. Macrogard was incorporated into shrimp feed at 1 g/kg feed. It was first given for 2 weeks and then withdrawn for the next 2 weeks and the same was continued throughout a grow-out period of 3-4 months. A higher shrimp yield was found in ponds with macrogard incorporation than ponds which received the control feed. However, the macrogard incorporation into feed failed to improve the growth and disease resistance in fish.
- Abraham, S. (1992). Effect of Livol on growth and body composition of common carp, Cyprinus carpio (Linn.). M.F.Sc. thesis submitted to University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.
- Azad I.S., Gopal C., Ponnuswamy K. and Abraham M. (2002). CIBA-developed shrimp immunostimulant - promising field results. Fish. Chim., 22(1):104-106.
- Donaldson E.M., Fagerlund U.H.M., Higgs D.A. and McBride J.R. (1979). Hormonal enhancement of growth in fish. In: Fish Physiology, Vol. 8 (ed. Hoar,W.S., Randall D.J. and Brett R.J.). p.455.
- Engstad R.E. and Robertsen B. (1995). The effect of structurally different â-glucans on immune response in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). J. Mar. Biotechnol.,3:203-207.
- Keshavanath P., Shyama S., Nandeesha M.C. and Varghese T.J. (1991). Influence of virginiamycin on growth and body composition of rohu (Labeo rohlta) and common carp (Cyprlnus carpio). In: S.S. De Silva (ed.) Fish Nutrition Research in Asia. Proceedings of the Fourth Asian Fish Nutrition Workshop, Asian Fishisheries Society Special Publication 5. Asian Fisheries Society, Manila, Philippines. pp. 193-200.
- Kumar, M. (1994). Effect of two commercially available feed additives on the growth and survival of cultivated carps. Ph.D. thesis submitted to University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.
- Ottensen O.H., Lunde H., Schei L., Engstad R. and Killie B. (2000). The effect of â-1,3-glucan (Macrogard) on survival of Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus) yolk-sac larvae. AQUA 2000, 2-6 May, 2000, Nice, France (abstract).
- Person M., Cerenius L. and Soderhall K. (1987). The influence of haemocyte number on the resistance of the freshwater cray fish, Pacifastacus leniusculus Dana to the parasitic fungus Aphanomyces astaci. J. Fish Dis., 10:471-477.
- Rorstad G., Aasjord P. and Robertsen B. (1993). Adjuvant effect of a yeast glucan in vaccines against furunculosis in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Fish Shellfish Immunol., 3:179-190.
- Shadakshari G.S. (1993). Effect of Bioboost-forte, Livol and Amchamin-Aq on growth and body composition of common carp, Cyprinus carpio (Linn.). M.F.Sc. thesis submitted to University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.
- Shivakumar G.M. (1995). Effect of crown-grofast on growth and body composition of mahseer. Tor khudree (Sykes). M.F.Sc. thesis submitted to University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.
- Soderhall K. and Smith V.J. (1986. Vibriosis resistance induced by glucan treatment in tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon). Fish Pathol., 29(1):11-17.
- Sung H.H., Kou G.H. and Song Y.L. (1994). Vibriosis resistance induced by glucan treatment in tiger shrimp (Penacus monodon). Fish Pathol., 29(1):11-17.