ISOLATION AND MOLECULAR CHARACTERIZATION OF BOVINE HERPES VIRUS-1 BY POLYMERASE CHAIN REACTION
Citation :- ISOLATION AND MOLECULAR CHARACTERIZATION OF BOVINE HERPES VIRUS-1 BY POLYMERASE CHAIN REACTION.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2013.(47):340-343
The present study was undertaken to isolate the Bovine Herpes virus-1(BHV-1) from cattle and buffaloes suffering from Infectious Bovine Rhinotrachitis (IBR) and confirmed by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and compare it with the standard isolate of BHV-1. A total of 40 nasal and conjunctival swabs were collected from cattle and buffalo from different districts of Karnataka. Isolation of BHV-1 was carried out in Madin Darby Bovine Kidney (MDBK) cell lines. Out of 40 samples collected, three virus strains were isolated from three samples with one each from Mandya, Hassan, and Bangalore district. The virus isolates were confirmed and characterized by PCR using set of designed primers targeting Glycoprotein C (gC) gene of BHV-1 followed by restriction endonuclease (RE) analysis and sequencing.
- Anonymous (2004) Annual Report, 2003-2004, PD-ADMAS, Hebbal, Bangalore.
- Fitzpatrick, D. R., Babiuk, L. A. and Zamb, T.,(1989). Nucleotide Sequence of Bovine Herpesvirus Type 1 Glycoprotein gIlI, a Structural Model for glll as a New Member of the lmmunoglobulin Superfamily, and Implications for the Homologous Glycoproteins of Other Herpesviruses. Virology, 173: 46-57.
- Kibenge, F. S., Harris, L. M., Mckenna, P. K., Wadowska, D. and Yason, C V.,(1994). Amplification of strains of bovine herpesvirus 1 by use of polymerase chain reaction with primers in the thymidine kinase region. Am. J. Vet. Res., 55: 1206-1212.
- Mehrotra, M.L., Rajya, B.S. and KUMAR, S., (1976). Infectious bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR) - keratoconjuntivitis in calves. Indian J. Vet. Pathol., 1: 70-73.
- Mohankumar, K.M. and Rajasekhar, M.,(1994). Isolation of infectious bovine rhinotracheitis virus in Karnataka. Indian Vet. J., 71: 109-112.
- OIE Terrestrial Manual (2008), Chapter 2.4.13.
- Okazaki, K.. Honda, E., Minetoma. T., and Kumagai, T., (1987). Bovine herpesvirus type 1 gp87 mediates both attachment of virions to susceptible cells and haemagglutination.Arch. Virol. 97:297- 307.
- Okazaki, K., Honda, E. and Kono, Y.,(1994). Expression of bovine herpesvirus 1 glycoprotein gIII by a recombinant baculovirus in insect cells. J. Gen. Virol., 75: 901-904.
- Rola, J., Larska, M. and Polak, M. P., (2005). Detection of bovine herpesvirus 1 from an outbreak of infectious bovine rhinotracheitis. Bulletin Vet. Institute in Puawy. 49: 267-271.
- Van drunen littel-Van den hurk, S. and Babiuk, L. A.,(1986). Synthesis and processing of bovine herpesvirus 1 glycoproteins. J. Virol., 59: 401-410.
- Vilcek, S., Nettleton, P. F., Herring, J. A. and Herring, A. J.,(1994). Rapid detection of bovine herpesvirus 1 (BHV 1) using the polymerase chain reaction. Vet. Microbiol., 42: 53-64.