Chief EditorYashpal Singh Malik
Print ISSN 0303-3821
Online ISSN 0976-4631
NAAS Rating 3.07
Selecting the Best Combination of Adjuvant and the Delivery Vehicle for Optimizing the Th1 and Th2 Biased Responses of NDV Live Vaccine in Indigenous Aseel Chicken
First Online 26-08-2021|
Methods: Whole blood was collected from 108 birds that were divided into 9 different experimental groups: 3 TLR ligands each with 3 delivery vehicles. Th1 (IFN-gamma) and Th2 (IL4) biased cytokines were detected by qPCR followed by ELISA. Both the results showed the highest level of IL4 (Th1 biased) with LPS and the highest level of IFNg (Th1 biased) with CpG-ODN. Uneven TLR expression was detected from day 3 onwards till day 21 but ligands and delivery vehicles administered along with NDV vaccine did not show significant influence on the immune response.
Result: It is evident that the TLR-3, 4 and 9 expressions increase following exposure to the respective ligands. Hence, TLR ligands can be used as reliable adjuvants in NDV vaccine. The expression of the Th2 biased cytokine IL4 mRNA and Th1 biased cytokine Interferon-gamma was found to be the highest on day 3 in the LPS+NSS group and on day 21 in CpG-ODN+Alum group, respectively. The findings of the real-time PCR were supported to some by the ELISA.
- Abdul-Careem, M.F., Hunter, D.B., Lambourne, M.D., Barta, J. and Sharif, S. (2007). Ontogeny of cytokine gene expression in the chicken spleen. Poultry Science. 86(7): 1351-1355.
- Abu-Baker, N. and Hussein, M. (2016). Synthesis, characterization and immunological properties of LPS-based vaccines composed of O-Polysaccharides conjugated with recombinant exoprotein a from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Advances in Microbiology. 6: 332-342.
- Aini, H.H., Omar, A.R., Hair-Bejo, M., Aini, I. (2008). Comparison of Sybr Green I, ELISA and conventional agarose gel- based PCR in the detection of infectious bursal disease virus. Microbiol Res. 163(5): 556-63. doi: 10.1016/j.micres. 2006.08.003.
- Alexander, D.J. (1997). Newcastle disease and other avian Paramyxoviridae infections. In: Diseases of Poultry, [Calnek, B.W., Barnes, H.J., Beard, C.W., McDougald, L.R. and Saif, Y.M. (Eds.)] 10th Edn. Ames: Iowa State University Press. pp 541-70.
- Alexopoulou, L., Holt, A.C., Medzhitov, R. and Flavell, R.A. (2001). Recognition of double-stranded RNA and activation of NF-kappaB by Toll-like receptor 3. Nature. 413(6857): 732–738.
- Beutler, B., Eidenschenk, C., Crozat, K., et al. (2007) Genetic analysis of resistance to viral infection. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 7: 753-766.
- Defang, G.N., Martin, N.J., Burgess, T.H., Millar, E.V., Pecenka, L.A., Danko, J.R., Arnold, J.C., Kochel, T.J. and Luke, T.C. (2012). Comparative analysis of hemagglutination inhibition titers generated using temporally matched serum and plasma samples. PLoS ONE. 7(12): e48229.
- Elston, T., Rodan, H., Flemming, D., Ford, R. B., Hustead, D. R., Richards, J. R., Rosen, D. K., Scherk-Nixon, M. A. and Scott, P. W. (1998). Report of the American Association of Feline Practitioners and Academy of Feline Medicine Advisory Panel on Feline Vaccines. Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association. 212: 227-241.
- Giambrone J.J. (1985). Laboratory evaluation of Newcastle disease vaccination programs for broiler chickens. Avian Dis. 29(2): 479-87.
- Han, Y., Bo, Z.J., Xu, M.Y., Sun, N. and Liu, D.H. (2014). The Protective Role of TLR3 and TLR9 Ligands in Human Pharyngeal Epithelial Cells Infected with Influenza A Virus. Korean Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology: Official Journal of the Korean Physiological Society and the Korean Society of Pharmacology. 18(3): 225-231.
- Hsieh, C.S., Macatonia, S.E., Tripp, C.S., Wolf, S.F., O’Garra, A. and Murphy, K.M. (1993). Development of Th1 CD4+ T cells through IL-12 produced by Listeria-induced macrophages. Science (New York, N.Y.). 260(5107): 547-549.
- Khalifeh, M.S., Amawi, M.M., Abu-Basha, E.A. and Yonis, I.B. (2009). Assessment of humoral and cellular-mediated immune response in chickens treated with tilmicosin, florfenicol, or enrofloxacin at the time of Newcastle disease vaccination. Poultry Science. 88(10): 2118-2124.
- Lee, J.M., Kim, J.G., Kim, T.H., Lee, D.S., Kim, J.H., Cho, S.K., Riu, K.Z., Lee, D.S. and Lee, S.H. (2010). Nonactin hinders intracellular glycosylation in virus-infected baby hamster kidney cells. Molecular Medicine Reports. 3(1): 115-119.
- Livak, K.J. and Schmittgen, T.D. (2001). Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods. 25(4): 402-8. doi: 10.1006/meth.2001.1262.
- Ranjith-Kumar, C.T., Duffy, K.E., Jordan, J.L., Eaton-Bassiri, A., Vaughan, R., Hoose, S.A., Lamb, R.J., Sarisky, R.T. and Kao, C.C. (2008). Single-stranded oligonucleotides can inhibit cytokine production induced by human toll-like receptor 3. Molecular and Cellular Biology. 28(14): 4507- 4519.
- Smbrook, J. and Russell, D.W. (2012). Molecular Cloning: A laboratory manual. Edition 4. ISBN 978-1-936113-42-2.
- Smith, H.W. (1956). The use of thelive vaccine in experimental Salmonella gallinarum infection in chickens with observations on their interference effect. The Journal of Hygiene. 54(3): 419-432.
- Sokol, H., Pigneur, B., Watterlot, L., Lakhdari, O., Bermúdez-Humarán, L.G., Gratadoux, J.J., Blugeon, S., Bridonneau, C. et al (2008). Faecalibacterium prausnitzii is an anti-inflammatory commensal bacterium identified by gut microbiota analysis of Crohn disease patients. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 105(43): 16731-16736.
- Su, J., Li, S., Hu, X., Yu, X., Wang, Y. et al. (2011). Duck egg-drop syndrome caused by BYD virus, a new Tembusu-related flavivirus. PLoS One. 6: e18106.
- Sundick, R.S. and Gill-Dixon, C. (1997). A cloned chicken lymphokine homologous to both mammalian IL-2 and IL-15. Journal of Immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950). 159(2): 720-725.
- Takeda, K., Kaisho, T. and Akira, S. (2003). Toll-like receptors. Annual Review of Immunology. 21: 335-376.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.