Comparative analysis of efficacy and longevity of various pheromone baited Septa for the control of gram pod borer
Citation :- Comparative analysis of efficacy and longevity of various pheromone baited Septa for the control of gram pod borer .Bhartiya Krishi Anusandhan Patrika.2018.(33):185-189
Pheromones are species specific chemicals which are biodegradable, eco-friendly, chemically safe, and required in ultra low dosages and used as efficient tool for insect pest management. Efficiency of pheromone traps used for pest control depends on air borne pheromone stimulus, in specific ratio and concentration released from septa. Field longevity of synthetic lures for Helicoverpa armigera (Lepidoptera: Noctudae) and efficacy of different septa were evaluated by mass trapping experiments in Pantnagar, India. The longevity (shelf life) of septa impregnated with pheromone components (Hexadecenol) and 97:3 blend (Z-11-hexadecenal and Z-9-Hexadecenal) were studied by gas chromatographic estimation of the residual pheromone remaining on the septa at different time interval and temperature conditions. The rubber eraser septum is found to be most effective one. This study is helpful to popularize the pheromone technology in farmers as they can store the already loaded septa and use them for control of H.armigera.
- Cork, A.Hall, D.R.(1998). Application of Pheromones for Crop Pest Management in the Indian Sub- Continent
- Hughes, W.; Howse, P. Vitela, E.; Knapp, J. and Goulson.(2002). Field Evaluation of potential of alarm pheromone compounds to enhance baits for control of grass cutting ants. J. Econ.Ento. 95:3, 537-543.
- Kant, K., K. R. Kanaujia, and S. Kanaujia. (1999). Rhythmicity and orientation of Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner) to pheromone and influence of trap design and distance on moth trapping. Journal of Insect Science 12: 6-8.
- Knight, A. (2002). A comparison of gray halo butyl isomer and red rubber septa to monitor codling moth in sex pheromone treated orchards. J. Entomol. Soc. British Columbia. 99, 123-132.
- Kakizaki, M. and Sugie, H. 2003. Sex pheromone of H.armigera, butter. Applied Entomol, 38:1, 73-78.
- Kumar, A. R. V. and Shivakumara, B. (2003) Variable response of male Helicoverpa armigera moth to sex pheromone blends: A case of behavioral polymorphism? Current Science, 84(5): 705-709.
- Kranthi, K.R.; Russel, O.; Wanjeeri, R.; Kherde, M.; Munje, S.; Lavhe, M. (2002) In season changes in resistance to insecticides in Helicoverpa armigera (Lepidopter : Nocluidae) in India. Journal of Economic Entomology 95(1) : 134-142.
- Mehrotra, K. N., and A. Phokela. 1992. Pyrethroid resistance in Heicoverpa armigera (Hübner). V. Response of populations in Punjab cotton. Pestic. Res. J. 4: 59–61.
- Rupela, O.P. (1987), Nodulation and nitrogen fixation in chickpea. In: The Chickpea. M. Saxena and K.B. Singh (eds.). CAB International, Wallingford, UK, pp. 191-200.
- Raj Singh Kushwah, Naresh Gupta, V. S. Bhadauria and Arvinder Kour (2017). improvement in productivity and economics of chickpea
- (cicer arietinum l.) through pulses front line demonstration. Bhartiya Krishi Anushandhan Patrika, 32(4), 261-263, 2017
- Oldenberg, C.; Opreau, I.; Kilima, B. and Hummel, E.(1999) Degradation of synthetic pheromones by environmental factors. A combined laboratory and field study. Med Fae. Landbouev. Univ. Gent. 64/3a, 89.
- Oldenberg, C.; Opreau, I.; Kilima, B. and Hummel, H.E. (1999) Degradation of synthetic pheromones by environmental factors. A combined laboratory and field study. Med Fae. Landbouev. Univ. Gent. 64/3a, 89.
- Trimble, R.M.; Tyndall, C.A. and Garvey, Mc.B.D. (1999). Evaluation of natural rubber sleeve stopper as a controlled release substrate for use in studies of sex pheromone mediated mating disruption of the spotted bollworm leaf minor. Canadian Entomol.131:1, 137-149.
- Weatherston, I. (1990). Principles of design of controlled-release formulations, in RL Ridgway, RM Silverstein, MN Inscoe (eds.) Behaviour- Modifying Chemicals for Insect Management, Applications of Pheromones and Other Attractants. Marcel Dekker, New York. pp 93-112.
- Wu De Ming, Yan, Y.H.; Gei, J.R.; Wu, D.M. and Chu, J.R. (2002). Sex pheromone components of Helicoverpa armigera chemical analysis and field tests. Entomologica Sinica. 4 : 4, 350-356.