Effect of probiotics on immunological status of giant freshwater prawn (macrobrachium rosenbergii de Man)
Citation :- Effect of probiotics on immunological status of giant freshwater prawn(macrobrachium rosenbergii de Man) .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2016.(50):930-935
The present study was aimed to investigate hemocyte count in giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii de Man) after being fed with different supplements. Immunological status of an animal is reflected with the result of its hematological profile. Freshwater prawns are more prone to infections by several pathogens which influence the immunity of the affected individuals. The effect of two probiotics on hemocyte count was studied over a period of eight weeks. The level of hemocyte count decreased significantly in the blood of prawns administered with pathogenic organisms died after three weeks. The level of count of hemocyte showed significant increase in the blood of giant freshwater prawn treated with probiotics alone verses control and also in prawn administered with pathogenic organisms verses probiotics revealed that probiotic 1 was more effective than probiotic 2.
- Ajitha. D., Contessie, B., Volpatti, D. and Galeotti, M. (2004). Evaluation of immunological parameters in farmed gilthead sea bream, Sparus aurata L., before and during outbreaks of winter syndrome. J. Fish Dis., 29: 683-90.
- Anderson, D. and Klontz, G.W. (1965). Basic Haematology for the fish culturist. Ann. Nortw. Fish Cult. Conf. 16: 38-41.
- Bansal, G.R., V.P. Singh and N. Sachan, (2011). Effect of probiotic supplementation on the performance of broilers. Asian J. Anim. Sci., 5:277-284.
- Bansal, S. K., Verma, S. R., Gupta, A. K., and Dalela, R. C. (1979). Physiological dysfunction of the haemopoietic system in a fresh water teleost, Labeo rohita, following chronic chlordane exposure, Part II — Alterations in certain organic components and serum electrolytes. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 22:674-80.
- Chabrillon, M., S. Arijo, P. Diaz-Rosales, M.C. Balebona and M.A Morinigo, (2006). Interference of listonella anguillarum with potential probiotic microorganisms isolated from framed gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata, L.) Aquacult. Res., 37: 78-86.
- Cheng, W., Liu, C.H., Hsu, J.P. and Chen, J.C. (2002). Effects of hypoxia on the immune response of giant fresh water prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii and its susceptibility to pathogen Enterococcus. Fish Shellfish.Immunol., 13:351- 365.
- Chinabut, S., Roberts, R.J., Willoughby, G.R. and Pearson, M.D. (1995). Histopathology of Snakehead, Channa striatus (Bloch), experimentally infected with the specific Aphanomyces fungus associated with Epizootic Ulcerative Syndrome (EUS) at different Temperatures. J. Fish. Dis., 18: 41- 47.
- Golovina, N. A. (1996). Morphofunctional Description of Blood in Piscicultural Fishes, Extended Abstract of Doctoral (Biol.) Dissertation, Moscow.
- Havenaar, R. and Huis in’t Veld, J.H.J. (1992). Probiotics: a general view. In: The lactic acid bacteria in health and disease. Wood, B.J.B. (ed.). Chapman and Hall, New York, pp. 209-224.
- Irianto, A. and Austin, B. (2002). Probiotics in aquaculture. J Fish Dis. 25: 1 10.
- Johansson, M. W., Keyser, P., Sritunyalucksana, K. and Söderhäll, K., (2000). Crustacean hemocytes and hematopoiesis. Aquaculture., 191:45-52.
- Kallaya Sritunyalucksana, Warachin Gangnonngiw, Somwit Archakunakorn, Daniel Fegan, Timothy W. Flegel (2005). Bacterial clearance rate and a new differential hemocyte staining method to assess immunostimulant activity in shrimp. Dis Aquat Org., 63: 89–94.
- Lightner, D. V., (1992). Shrimp virus diseases: Diagnosis, distribution and management. In Aquaculture 92. Proceedings of the Special Session on Shrimp Farming, Baton Rouge: Orlando: The World Aquaculture Society, pp. 238–253.
- Nikfar, S., M. Darvish-Damavandi and M. Abdollahi, (2010). A review and meta-analysis of the efficacy of antibiotics and probiotics in management of pouchitis. Int. J. Pharmacol., 6:826-835.
- Owens L, O’Neill A. (1997). Use of clinical cell flow cytometer for differential counts of prawn Penaeus monodon haemocytes, Dis Aquat Org. 31:147–153
- Palikova, M., Navratil, S., Krejcf, R., Sterba, F., Tichy, F. and Kubala, L. (2004). Outcomes of repeated exposure of carp (Cyprinus carpio L) to Cyanobacteria extract. Acta. Vet. Brno., 73: 259- 265.
- Perazzolo, L.M., Gargioni, R., Ogliari, P. and Barracco, M.A.A., (2002). Evaluation of some hematoimmunological parameters in the shrimp Farfantepenaeus paulensis submitted to environmental and physiological stress. Aquaculture, 214:19–33.
- Rajesh, L., Dheepak, M., Johann, G. and Neil., G. (2008). Functionality of a Bacillus cereus biological agent in response to physiological variables encountered in aquaculture. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 79: 111–118.
- Ranzani- Paiva, M. T., Ishikawa, C. M., Eiras, A. C. and Silveira, V. R. (2004). Effects of an experimental challenge with Mycobacterium marinum on the bood parameters of Nile tilapia, Oreochromis nitoticus (Linnaeus, 1757). B. Archives Bio. Tech., 47: 945- 953.
- Rengpipat, S., Rukpratanporn, S., Piyatiratitivorakul, S. and Menasaveta, P. (2000). Immunity enhancement in black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) by a probiont bacterium (Bacillus S11). Aquaculture, 191: 271-288.
- Sahul Hameed, A.S., Yoganandhan, K., Sri Widada, J., Bonami, J.R., (2004). Studies on the occurrence and RT-PCR detection of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus and extra small virus-like particles associated with white tail disease of Macrobrachium rosenbergii in India. Aquaculture 238: 127–133.
- Selvaraj, V., Sampath, K. and Sekar, V. (2005). Administration of yeast glucan enhances survival and some non-specific and specific immune parameters in carp (Cyprinus carpio) infected with A. hydrophila. J. Fish and Shellfish Immunol., 19: 293-306.
- Siwicki, A. K. Anderson, D. P., Rumsey, G. L. (2003). Dietary intake of immunostimulants by rainbow trout affects nonspecific immunity and protection against furunculosis. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol., 41: 125–139.
- Smith, V.J., Brown, J.H., Hauton, C. 2003. Immunostimulation in crustaceans: does it really protect against infection? Fish Shellfish Immunol 15:71–90.
- Snedecor, G., Cochran, W. and Cox, D. (1989). Statistical Methods (8th edition). The lowa State University Press.
- Tzou, P., De Gregorio, E. and Lemaitre, B., (2002). How Drosophila combats microbial infection: a model to study innate immunity and host-pathogen interactions. Current opinion in microbiology, 5:102–110.
- Van de Braak, C.B.T., Faber, R., Boon., J.H. (1996). Cellular and humoral characteristics of Penaeus monodon (Fabricius, 1798) haemolymph. Comp Haemato Int 6:194–203.
- Venkat, H.K., Sahu, N.P. and Jain, K.K. (2004). Effect of feeding Lactobacillus-based probiotics on the gut microflora, growth and survival of postlarvae of Macrobrachium rosenbergii (de Man). Aqua. Res., 35: 501-507.
- Wang, G. and Xu, R.I. (2006). Ontogeny of the digestive and feeding systems in the anemonefish Amphiprion melanopus. Environ. Biol. Fishes 61: 187–201.
- Yesillik, S., N. Yildirim, A. Dikici, A. Yildiz and S. Yesillik (2011). Antibacterial effects of some fermented commercial and homemade dairy products and 0.9% lactic acid against selected foodborne pathogens. Asian J. Anim. Vet. Adv., 6: 189-195.